Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Update 4/22/09

Thank you so much for all of the gifts of love given to me since the blog was posted: kind words, calls, visits, food, cards, gifts, poetry, flowers, pictures, stories that link us, your feelings, and the myriad of prayers offered. Each one touched me in a very profound way. I feel the passion of life through you and am so glad I share my life with you. THANK YOU!

I’m going to try and capture the experiences of the last couple of weeks with you the very best I can. But first, let me share some words from a book that our friend Nikki gave to me, “Graceful Passages: A Companion for Living and Dying.” I’ve blended a few of the passages and made them speak for me, at this very moment I sit writing to you.

When it comes to dying, I’m an amateur. I haven’t done it – I think when I come to do it, I will still be an amateur, somewhere between frightened and terrified. I know that everything I have been in my life will come before me. I will need comfort and reassurance, and certain things I know will help me die. One will be the thinking about my family and friends, and the love that I have given and received. I will also think about all the beauty I have tasted, and the beauty of the world, knowing that no matter how old I am, I will lament leaving the wondrous beauty of this world. I’ve been a person who’s been on a religious quest my entire life. This is not new with me; I was almost born doing it. It is the deepest experience I have that whoever it is that I am, however it is that I came to be – through the DNA , the process of coming through my mother’s womb and into this world – there has always been a sense of guidance and purpose both behind and before me. Even when I have been in despair, there is something deeper down, some kind of trust beneath all the doubt, beneath the anxiety, beneath the fear; I am encompassed by that great reality that I call God.

Hospice Meeting: After meeting some of the hospice staff and through getting to know them and letting them get to know me, I discovered I didn’t know how to answer some questions posed to me. It was okay that I didn’t have the answers but what bothered me was that I just could NOT hear my voice any longer. It was lost. My mind was blank. I then began to sit back, watch myself and my interactions leading up to these meetings and discovered that I have been in a whirl of loving people who are scared to let me go, want to say goodbye and for whom I’ve also wanted the same. But underneath all of that came the not-so-obvious truth: “….And, I’m hiding so I won’t feel.” When I started asking friends and family to give me some space, my voice was shaky, timid and sort of like a question instead of a statement, “I need time to be alone?” A week ago, I learned a lot about saying no. Here I am on one side having anxiety that I won’t be able to see everyone before I die because time is running out. Maybe you feel it too. There will be plenty of time. Trust me. I found myself thinking, I have this to do, that to do, I have to go here and make sure someone gets this and, and, and, and, the list will never end. It never does really. All of the sudden my spirit screamed: STOP! Then, I got really, really, really quiet and meditated and prayed. And more and more became revealed to me each and every day that I found some silence in my life. I had to create a space to cry and scream, experience deep depression and remember great joys. I had to throw my head on the pillow and sob for hours and then when I thought I’d never be able to laugh again, a laugh emerged. I’ll be bargaining with God one minute, and be filled with anxiety and remorse the next, I never want to leave this beautiful earth and it will be really hard to let go of the passion I’ve possessed since birth for life. It’s unfair and, at the same time, why NOT me? Then there are these questions and curiosities about what’s ahead for me. I’ve met with a pastor, a chaplain, read Jewish literature on dying, I’ve watched films about people dying, and the really personal philosophical and spiritual questions are like angels swirling around my head and mind right now. It seems like the born spiritual seeker I always was is still lingering out today. And, they say you die as you live so it shouldn’t be much of a surprise, after all, I know I’m a passionate soul. I’m afraid and I’m not afraid. I know that God is carrying me right now. And I relate all these musings to the reading I used at the beginning.

My deepest and most personal hope is that I can find some serenity and acceptance in the end.

To do this, I asked some of my hospice team to come and meet with my family and a friend of mine. It was there in that meeting, in the living room, with the shadows from the trees bouncing off the earthy yellow walls, the shadows that come around late afternoon that my loving family gathered. I expressed through tears how I was feeling and in return I heard their feelings. I felt honored to know that I was loved and how I was loved. I am glad that we all removed our masks and let each other “be,” no matter where on this journey we find ourselves on. I was able to tell them that I needed time to be alone in order to listen to how I feel and come to my own understandings. You know, that must be hard – as I reflect now while writing – because there is the buzzing anxiety that goes on day to day, sometimes minute by minute, that say’s…we’re running out of time.” However, I know my body and I know my limits and I truly believe and hope you trust me on this: there IS plenty of time.

We’ve devised a “plan” so that I can see all my friends and family while still getting the rest I need (and I do need a lot of rest). It takes energy to live and die! A plan also helps me get the time I need to grapple the questions that I find myself asking. One of my oldest and dearest friends, Sharol, has offered to initiate and control that plan. Thank you Sharol! She set up a calendar of visits so that if you want to come and see me you can email her and she will schedule it. I take a lot of medication in the morning so after 1 pm is the best time to see me. I am usually good for an hour before getting that fatigue or pain feeling. That way, I can spend quality time with each of you. Something I’d much rather have! She also has a list of foods that both Nancy and I would welcome IF you want to bring food which many of you have been doing and we thank you for that! Your hearts are so good! Our freezer is so small and there are some foods I can’t eat anymore so this helps solve both those problems while still enjoying all the love you send through the food. Thank you! Many of you have offered to do things around the house or to do other things that make our lives easier and we also want to thank you so much for that! It’s been difficult for me to say “yes” to any of them but I’m learning. Sharol also has a list of things that if you want to help we would welcome. It would be a huge help to us and I want to say in advance thank you for all of your kindness, goodness, love, and compassion in all you have shown Nancy and I. I just don’t have the right words to express my love and thankfulness to you. I sincerely hope you feel it though.

My wish for when I spend time with you ~ Please,
*Don’t tell me to try a different treatment, or to not give up. I’m trying to learn to let go.
*It’s okay to cry, I’m doing it too. You don’t have to pretend to be tough for me!
*Pray with me, read to me, sit or lay quietly with me if I fall asleep
*Laugh with me
*Don’t bring your cell phone.
*Don’t bring other people with you
*Don’t feel bad if you just can’t come
*Leave chaos and craziness and gossip at the door.

And, it’s okay for us to make mistakes and say really stupid things because I do it all the time. It can be funny. Case in point: My friend’s dad died of a heart attack and she said, “That would give me a heart attack!” we both broke out in laughter. I said, “I’d rather die than…” Again, too funny. Be yourself. I can’t think of anyone I’d rather spend time with than YOU.

Thanks so much for all you’ve been doing for me. I love you soooooo sooooo much! I wish I had the energy to throw a big ass party to celebrate life with all of you and all the fun I’ve had (and keep having) because to know you is such a gift. I want to fill my house with all of you and for you to get to know each other because you are each so special to me and life is so wondrous and beautiful with you in it. Thank you.

Loving you until next time,
Katherine

PS – Sharol will soon be emailing you with the schedule, the list of things to do and the list of foods.

30 comments:

  1. Thanks Katherine & Nancy- I look forward to hearing from Sharol!
    xox-
    Meg & lil' Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this, Katherine. We look forward to hearing how we can help the two of you in this journey. We love you both so much!
    Colleen and John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, that was very nicely put. I'd like to help any way I can. Looking forward to hearing from Sharol

    Darren P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are beautiful Katherine and a huge inspiration. I love you and hope to laugh with you again soon!
    Love,
    Hilleri
    PS: I look forward to walking those dogs of yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we can learn from you--

    Live each day as it comes
    Treasure your friends and family
    Appreciate the little things
    Laughing ( and crying) are both part of life
    The way to get love is to give it
    You have friends in many places
    Even the ones you don't hear from or the ones who don't know what to say are thinking of you.
    God bless you and Nancy ( her current path is a really tough one too!)

    Vikki Canfield

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you very much,I hold you in my prayers and in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing your thoughts as only you can do--in the most heartfelt, beautiful, eloquent way. And that is why you are so loved. And thanks for the permission to say dumb things...and can I also fall in the mud room when I visit? I love you dear sister.
    Peg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Kathy, I am sending you lots of love from far away. Huge hugs to you and Nancy and know that you are loved, always....
    Karina (from Montreal)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sister is a gift to the heart, a friend to the spirit, a golden thread to the meaning of life. I love my dear sister Katherine.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katherine, this message reminds us all why we love you so much: your caring, introspective, forgiving, LOVING way of looking at the world and those in it. I look forward to seeing you soon.
    Much love and peace to you,
    Lisa B.
    p.s. I found a couple copies of the old UW-B newsletter that I'm sending your way with your first 'published' cartoons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katherine, i would be honored to help you in any way. You have been such an inspiration, there are no words to describe how thankful i am to have you in my life. I am praying for you constantly. I love you to the stars, back and forth, and back and forth.

    Katie Waters

    ReplyDelete
  12. my thoughts are with you kath; as i read your message, it made me think of this: "in one of the stars i shall be living. in one of them i shall be laughing. and so it will be as if all the stars are laughing, when you look at the sky at night..." St. Exupery

    miss you and love you! -janie libra girl-

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathi, Try to put to rest the worry about your Mother. We have been friends for over 30 years, and have always been there for each other when in need, and will continue to do so. Bsides she is my partner in crime, and we have more history to make. I love you and Nancy, I am sad...Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please excuse me for this but I need to release some selfish thoughts- I am so, so sad and heavy with my feelings of letting you go....
    Everyday, I help to bring life into this world and I am there when they leave this world. That is who I am and what I do. It is such an honor to do this and I am thankful. When I think that I can't do this again and watch you go, I realize that how can I NOT do this? You have a beautiful, energy-filled spirit of love and life. I admire and look up to you. Your life is like a large Banyan tree- you branch out, protect, provide life, and dance with the most powerful wind that Mother Nature can throw at you.
    I stand at the doorway of life greeting or saying goodbye. I realize that you are blessed with so much love and support but please know this....I am silently standing at your doorway. Just reach out and I will grab your hand tightly to mine....Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kath - it's soooo comforting to see your latest posting. I've been holding my breath while praying for you.

    I have a tendency to give people too much space and miss opportunities to tell them how much they mean to me.

    I am very happy to hear you say there is enough time to see everyone. I'm looking forward to hearing from Sharol. What a great friend!

    Isn't it odd that when we slow down and give ourselves space, suddenly time slows down too and there is enough time for priorities and even the little things, while all the nutty chaos melts away? I want to learn to do that more often.

    You and Nancy are in my heart and prayers.

    You are brave and so articulate and graceful and peace-filled in your posting. You inspire me.

    My cheeks are tear-stained. I miss you, Kath.

    All my love - Molly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Katherine,
    Your courage is an inspiration. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do.
    Love,
    Tiffany and Robert

    ReplyDelete
  17. To my dear old friend Kath - Something inside me (fellow crazy Sag instinct?) told me I needed to call you last night - I am so grateful Nancy forwarded this site to me. I wish I could write even a fraction as eloquently as you to let you know how I feel right now and how much you mean to me. You have always made me smile and laugh over the years, even though I have tears streaming down my face right now. You are an amazing person, dear wonderful Katherine. I miss you and do very much want to see you - hoping Sharol will include me in her email.
    Even though I haven't seen you as I should have (please forgive me), you are ALWAYS in my thoughts and prayers. Love you lots!!! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Kathi,

    I am Bev's mom from N.J. We used to talk on the phone about 10 years ago. I enjoyed those talks so much, I felt so
    good afterwards.Your light always lit me up.
    I am very sorry for your troubles, Kathi.You are in my thoughts and prayers. Linda also sends her regards.

    Love,

    Diane
    her regards

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kathi, thanks for the sharing and listening yesterday, as I drove away I felt very blessed and at peace...I love you, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. not sure i can really say anything auntie katherine. (i know you're jen's aunt, but now, you're my honorary aunt, so there!!!!) ;o)

    you are amazing.
    you have amazing strength
    and insight
    and such a great spirit.

    i'm sending you and nancy big hugs!
    i think of you all the time and have asked many people to remember you, nancy, and family in their prayers as well.

    with my deepest admiration~
    pamela
    (jen's scrapbooking, walking, twin-looking friend!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kathy,

    I don't see an email address for Sharol. I would love to come visit!!!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Katherine,

    I love you. I hope you and Nancy are well. I send you energy, light, EVERY TIME I think of you. Which is often. I do not have a telephone number for you. I'd like it if we could talk when you're up to it.

    Big hug, and much love to you both-

    Stepheny

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kath,

    Thanks for taking the time to see us, it was so great to spend time with you! You have such a peaceful spirit and are so in tune with yourself, that you are an inspiration.

    I hope that you can let go of your worries and have faith that those who love you will have a wonderful support system to help them during their grief.

    So many want to help you and Nancy during this time, but it must be difficult to manage all the offers, so I am including a link for you that may help. Perhaps you have a friend close by that could manage this site for you

    It is a site called "Food Tidings" Here is their description: "Food Tidings exists to simplify the process of organizing meals for friends or family members in a transitional time of life."

    Perhaps you can use it for additional assistance with things like your yard, laundry, and house cleaning.

    Hope this helps! Wish I could be there to lend a hand.

    Love you! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Forgot the web address...........
    http://foodtidings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Kath, its me again.I cant stop thinking about you.
    I just dont know what to say that hasnt already been said.We just found each other again and I cant bear to say goodbye to you.I know I am being selfish, I have always loved you like a little sister,my cheeks are wet and my heart is heavy.I love you

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Aunt Kathi,

    One day last week, I got off work a bit early. I beat Cali and the girls home. I was just sitting there alone and you popped into my head. An old memory. You were driving me to a soccer game. I must've been about 10 or 11 years old. We were in your old VW beetle and you hit a speed bump doing about 30 mph! I thought the damn car was gonna fall apart. After we stopped laughing, I remembered trying to talk you into doing it again!

    I remember my time in Marine Corps boot camp. Kathi, you were the only person who wrote me on consistant basis. I can't put into words how important mail is to a kid in boot camp but I could always count on your weekly letter. It was honestly the highlight of my week.

    Anyway, these are just some of the things that have been going through my mind lately.

    I love you Aunt Kathi, we all do, and I'll talk to you soon.

    Patrick Waters

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kathy, this is Louis Chirillo from BHS '79. I used to have the nickname Ziggy and a big afro that made me look like a fuzzy walking mushroom...with platform shoes.

    We haven't talked with each other in 30 years, but I would like to send you an embrace filled with the brightness, warmth and energy of the sun.

    Love,
    Louis

    ReplyDelete
  28. Katherine,

    I am hoping that you've received the two posts that I've left on two separate days. I'm not sure how they're deleted. BUT, You know you are SO VERY LOVED. And you know that you WILL LIVE with LOVE in your next great spiritual transition/adventure/ journey.

    Stepheny

    ReplyDelete
  29. BTW: Just realized wrong blog post. I'm lousy with the technology thing. Go figure.

    Stepheny

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Kath, Nancy, and Norma,

    Thank you for sharing your time with me. It was wonderful to connect with you during this time of great mystery and feel your incredible spirit flow with courage and grace in the moment. You inspire me! Each of you inspire me and touch me deeply with the love you so freely give! I love you very much and am telling everyone I know that I love them. Thank you for reminding me what is most important! Holding each of you in my heart sending blessings of love and light. Nikki

    ReplyDelete